We live in Asia. And we're thankful.
It’s Thanksgiving (or at least it was four days ago). And it goes without saying how very thankful I am for my gracious and faithful God, my amazing husband, my two precious girls, and all our dear family and friends far away from us on the other side of the world. I’m actually feeling pretty sentimental right now about all those at home, but I’m not prepared to share my sentimentality. So instead, I’ve decided to share my thoughts on why I am thankful to be living in Asia. Despite what you have read in my past postings, there are some perks to this new place we call home. So here it goes.
1. I am thankful for heated floors.
When it was 20 degrees outside and we didn’t have heat, it was not fun. We were pretty much counting down the days until that special designated day the “powers-that-be” had decided was a good day for turning on the heat. And now it is quite toasty. So toasty, in fact, that we have to open our windows. Now, I’ve never had our heat come from the floor. But there are benefits. We can lay our clothes out on the floor and then it feels like they came out of a dryer when we put them on. Also, they work as a baby-wipe warmer and cup-of-tea warmer. Really...the States should catch-up with Asia and jump on the heated-floor bandwagon. I bet you could even have them made here...just like everything else.
2. I am thankful that I can take a shower AND mop the bathroom floor at the same time.
The bathrooms here in Asia don’t usually have a separate bath area. The shower IS the bathroom, and the water just usually drains into the squatty potty hole. Thankfully, we have a Western toilet, so there are drains provided for the shower. But everything in our bathroom gets wet when we take a shower. This is not necessarily a perk. However, it does allow me the opportunity to multi-task and clean the bathroom whilst taking a shower. Genius.
3. I am thankful for pumpkin.
3. I am thankful for pumpkin.
If I had not moved here, I may never have discovered the wonderfulness of fresh pumpkin. Cut it, scoop out the seeds, roast it in the oven, and then eat it with a spoon. Or puree it for fresh pumpkin goodness to be used in pies, bread, donuts...basically anything. If I was still in the States, I’d still be using Libby’s, which I will admit, is WAY more convenient. But let me just say...go out and buy a pumpkin and use it in your favorite pumpkin recipe. You won’t be sorry.
4. I am thankful for all the parenting advice I receive when I walk out the door.
Otherwise, my children would not be dressed properly and I might actually think I am a good mother. Thank you, Asian mamas and grandmamas for keeping me humble.
5. I am thankful that we don’t have to be in the States on July 4th to enjoy a firework show.
There are fireworks going off here ALL THE TIME. And I especially love it when they go off right under our window. Or when kids make those little ones go off right behind you when you’re walking on the street. So lovely.
6. I am thankful for Australia.
We get our milk from Australia. We get our canola oil from Australia. And our nice wool blanket is from Australia. We love Australia.
7. I am thankful that I’ve just about lost those last pregnancy pounds.
Thank you stomach bugs and parasites.
8. I am thankful for the dance parties that have been inspired by our light fixture.
We now have a time in our day called “family hip-hop time,” where we break it down to the music of Christian rap artist Flame. It’s awesome.
9. I am thankful for Asian Amazon.
This blessed service delivers our milk, Nutella, way-overpriced Goldfish crackers, and even Cheerios...if we were willing to pay $10 for one small box, which we aren’t. We’re not that desperate yet.
10. I am thankful that I can now redeem all that time I once spent on Pinterest.
Because now, if I want it (hello pumpkin spice creamer), then I have to make it. Which means I can put to use all those things I pinned months ago, thinking I would one day get around to making this or that by scratch. That day has come.
11. I am thankful for Dove chocolate.
There are many things we can’t get here. But we CAN get Dove dark chocolate. And we get it. A lot. It’s basically crucial to our survival.
12. I am thankful for fresh meat and produce.
So fresh, in fact, that if I get to the open-air market early in the morning, the meat is still warm to the touch. And I can basically point to which part of the cow I’d like, since the carcass is hanging on a hook. Oh, and I can buy chickens with the feet and head or without. I prefer without, but you never know when I might prefer with. And I can buy free-range eggs and cheap produce. And I can get pumpkin year-round. Have I mentioned that I like the pumpkin?
13. I am thankful that carpet was never an option here. Because I probably would have chosen to have carpet in our apartment. And now I would be sorry. Hello, potty-training.
13. I am thankful that carpet was never an option here. Because I probably would have chosen to have carpet in our apartment. And now I would be sorry. Hello, potty-training.
14. And finally, though I am sure there are numerous other reasons for gratefulness, I am thankful for the workout my brain is getting through the process of learning a new language. Because, let’s be honest...as a mom, my brain has lost a lot of its former brilliance, or at least its former competency. I’m having to use parts of my brain that have not been used for quite awhile. I basically feel like a child again. Especially when my toddler corrects me on my tones. This happened just tonight. And it wasn’t the first time. There will come a day, though, when I will be able to have a conversation in this new language, and people will actually understand me and I will understand them. I’m hoping that day will come soon. Until then, I’m learning, and for that I am grateful.

I love everything about this post :-) especially the chocolate and the parenting advice because those are also crucial components of my life here. Just today our language teacher asked me if I had thought about potty training L. :-) Also you look beautiful in that pumpkin pie picture. I mean, you are always beautiful, but you are looking really lovely and happy :-)
ReplyDeleteYou look FABULOUS my friend!! And so does the pie! This post was awesome- thank you for sharing it! It was a great laugh this morning. =)
ReplyDeleteOh Abigail! I love this, especially number four. In my experience Asians are GREAT at keeping you humble..very, very humble. :) Happy Thanksgiving. You guys all look great!
ReplyDelete