Turning 3
My oldest girl turned three yesterday. And in all honesty, I was a little sad about this birthday. I wanted so much for it to be special for my girl, and I just didn't know how to do that. Here. There's not much to do in the dead of winter, and it was hard not thinking about her cousins and little friends who would not be able to join us in the celebrating. She hasn't had an easy time since we arrived. Her whole world has turned upside down, and she's old enough to know it. So I definitely wanted her to feel special this year.
But even now, I remind myself. She's three. She'll be ok. And she does feel special, because she knows how special she is to us. This sweet little girl, who is so like me, both in face and personality, she is more precious than words. And we tell her that...all the time. She doesn't need a fancy party to know it. And one day, she will have friends here and life will be more normal and happy and familiar. Until then, she looks to us to measure life's happiness. If we're doing ok, she's doing ok. If we are thriving in the joy of Christ, she sees that and she responds.
As parents, we want so much for our children. And yet, what they need is to see their mother and father living true contentment in the Lord, a life of trust in the midst of fear and joy in the midst of uncertainty. They need to see through our example that Christ is precious and that our joy is not circumstantial. I want that to be the example I give my girls. I want them to see it, because I want them to know it. If this was my firstborn's only gift this year, it would be enough. I so desire for the Father to draw the hearts of my children to Himself, and I pray they would one day know the joy of Christ. Until then, through birthdays and holidays and everyday, I pray that I would live an example of faithfulness and true joy. I don't ever want my children to think there is anything lacking. Because there isn't. In Christ, we have everything we need.
Happy birthday, my darling E. You are most fearfully and wonderfully made, and we love you dearly.
Skyping with my mom, sister, brother-in-law, and their girls and opening the presents they sent.
Girly decorations...'cause she's a girly girl.
So sweet.
Cake time.
E was so excited, especially when everyone began singing.
Enjoying her gifts.
And the big gift.
Hmmmm. I thought this gift was for E?
But even now, I remind myself. She's three. She'll be ok. And she does feel special, because she knows how special she is to us. This sweet little girl, who is so like me, both in face and personality, she is more precious than words. And we tell her that...all the time. She doesn't need a fancy party to know it. And one day, she will have friends here and life will be more normal and happy and familiar. Until then, she looks to us to measure life's happiness. If we're doing ok, she's doing ok. If we are thriving in the joy of Christ, she sees that and she responds.
As parents, we want so much for our children. And yet, what they need is to see their mother and father living true contentment in the Lord, a life of trust in the midst of fear and joy in the midst of uncertainty. They need to see through our example that Christ is precious and that our joy is not circumstantial. I want that to be the example I give my girls. I want them to see it, because I want them to know it. If this was my firstborn's only gift this year, it would be enough. I so desire for the Father to draw the hearts of my children to Himself, and I pray they would one day know the joy of Christ. Until then, through birthdays and holidays and everyday, I pray that I would live an example of faithfulness and true joy. I don't ever want my children to think there is anything lacking. Because there isn't. In Christ, we have everything we need.
Happy birthday, my darling E. You are most fearfully and wonderfully made, and we love you dearly.
Skyping with my mom, sister, brother-in-law, and their girls and opening the presents they sent.
Homemade "E" doughnuts for breakfast.
Anne got dressed up for the occasion.
Cake time.
E was so excited, especially when everyone began singing.
A new friend helped her blow out the candles.
What can I say? This girl likes her cake.
Enjoying her gifts.
And the big gift.
Hmmmm. I thought this gift was for E?



I love this post, and I love you sweet friend. How I need to be reminded that there isn't anything lacking "because there isn't. In Christ, we have everything we need." Miss you so much!
ReplyDeleteThanks, friend. I definitely need this reminder, too. Miss and love you so much.
ReplyDelete