First Impressions
We have been in our city for almost a week now. We have signed a lease on an apartment and plan to move in over the weekend, and on Monday, I will begin my language classes. Life has certainly begun here, but I still feel very much like an ant in a great big forest. Everything is new and foreign (except for the McDonalds and KFC across town), and if I didn't have my language-savvy husband by my side, I would definitely want to hide in a corner and cry. Not that I maybe don't want to do that anyway. It's a frightening experience, being here…especially with our two little girls and especially when we realize that we're not leaving, that this is our home. Just today, we encountered a situation that was NOT ok on so many different levels, resulting in tears and, honestly, some anger. In these moments, and in so many others, we try to remind ourselves that we are here with a purpose bigger than our fears and our circumstances. But it requires work. And hope. And grace.
~ Some random pics from around town
As far as the city itself, we have only begun to explore and navigate our way through the streets and alleyways. There are concrete buildings, broken sidewalks, dirt and trash everywhere, traffic governed by wants rather than rules. All of this has been a little overwhelming and, at times, discouraging. But the people…that's why we're here. And the faces of those people and the knowledge of their hearts keep us here. More than that, their Creator keeps us here. There is much that could be said, but I'll share just a few observations:
1) No car seats
I knew this before we arrived, but there's something about speeding down the highway, holding tight to your baby, that kind of hits it home. Our trip from the airport that first night was unnerving, to say the least, especially when the driving here is haphazard at best. I am somewhat getting used to riding in taxis within the city, N and I each holding a kid and trying not to watch the traffic of cars, bicycles, pedestrians, carts, etc. going this way and that. I'm SOMEWHAT getting used to it. Yeah…I'll probably never REALLY get used to it. And I probably won't join the scores of mothers holding tight to their babies on the seat of a motorbike either.
2) Our children are rockstars.
We are definitely stared at. A lot. And my children…with their blonde hair and blue eyes? They are rockstars. We can't leave our hotel room without people touching their hair, holding their hands, reaching out their arms to hold them, taking their picture, and scolding mom or dad for not dressing them properly (i.e. more layers, less layers, etc.). At the end of the day, even I want my girls' autographs.
3) Blue skies?
So I forgot about the whole smog thing. When my husband was here before, he lived in a smaller city that enjoyed blue skies and no smog. That's not the case here. In fact, because we live near a desert, the dust and pollution together result in a lingering cloud over and within the city. We've been told this worsens in the winter, when many people begin burning coal to keep warm. We can't imagine it being worse, and it's definitely something we'll need to get used to. However, we HAVE had two days in a row of sunshine and blue sky, which we hear is a rarity. So we are enjoying it.
4) We can buy peanut butter here.
Five years ago, this would not have been the case. But it is now. And my husband is thrilled.
5) We can have Nutella delivered to our door.
This one's for me. And it makes me happy.
6) In a culture of split-pants, we can find diapers.
Yes. Yes. Yessssss.
7) There are trees here.
Green trees. High five.
8) My husband is awesome.
Have I said yet how thankful I am to have a husband who is wise, gracious, kind, loving AND knows the language? Right now he is cleaning our apartment, getting it ready for us to move in. And earlier today, he went to bat for me and defended me, my honor, and my well-being most heroically. In all ways, he is a blessing.
And for your enjoyment, a few quick pictures:
~ The view from our hotel on a clear day
~ Some random pics from around town
So excited for you all. Those taxi rides are definitely scary and I can't imagine holding a little one while in them. Lifting you up - that you'd begin to feel more at home and find joy! So thankful you have each other.
ReplyDeletePrying and prying. Holding my breath while reading your blog just feeling anxious for you. Thinking of you and your whole family.
ReplyDeleteTREES!!!
ReplyDeleteLove y'all ;-)
Nutella to your door? Wahoo! So glad to hear an update on you, friend. Let me know when it's Skype time!! Love you and thinking of you often.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear how yall are. Thinking of you much, sweet friend!!!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you in this time. Glad you all made it safely. Press on sweet friend!
ReplyDeleteyou are my heroes!!
ReplyDelete